SEND Report

Special Educational Needs

and Disability Information Report

In the 2014 Children and Families Act, all schools are required to publish an Information Report to inform parents of their policies, procedures and support given to children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND). The views of parents and children from our school community have been sought in the development of this information report, in addition to the views of our governing body and representatives from our teaching staff.

Hampshire County Council is also required to inform parents of their local offer and this can be found here.  The local offer sets out the services available to all SEND children and young people aged 0 - 25 years in Hampshire.

We have high expectations for each and every one of our children, but recognise that for some learning can be more difficult.  The main aim of our SEND policy and provision is to help to ensure that all children can achieve to their full potential, lead full and independent lives, and be successful in their futures.

The aim of this SEND Information Report is to inform you and your children of the provision offered by Peel Common Junior School for children with special educational needs and disabilities.

If you feel that there is any additional information or support that you would like, please do not hesitate to contact either your child’s class teacher, Mrs Sarah Alden (SENCo) or Mr Andy Clarke (Headteacher).

How does the school know if children need extra help, and what should I do if I think that my child has Special Educational Needs?

At Peel Common Junior School, children are identified as having SEND and needing extra support in a variety of ways, including the following:

  • By close liaison with your child’s Infant School/previous school, particularly during transition between Year 2 and Year 3;
  • If your child is performing significantly below age expected levels, or is not making expected progress;
  • If you raise concerns about your child;
  • If concerns are raised by your child’s teacher regarding their progress, or regarding their behaviour or self-esteem affecting their performance;
  • Through liaison with external agencies;
  • Through assessments and/or a diagnosis by outside agencies;
  • Through the use of formal tests, which can identify if your child has a specific need.

How will I raise concerns about my child if I need to? 

  • Talk to us – we have an open-door policy and always welcome any communication with you.  In the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher if you have any concerns.  Alternatively, you can speak to Mrs Alden, the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo), or Mr Clarke, the Headteacher;
  • We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that you are able to do the same with us.
  • In addition to having an open door policy, we also offer the following;

-Parents Evenings, which take place twice a year;

-An Annual School Report, sent out in the Summer term of each year, highlighting your child’s successes in all subjects, and setting targets in Maths, Reading and Writing;

-An IEP (Individual Education Plan) or IBMP (Individual Behaviour Management Plan) for every child on the SEND Register, which details specific, measurable, achievable, reasonable and time-scaled (SMART) targets.  The duration of these plans depends on need, but can be between 6 weeks and a term.  This plan is shared and reviewed termly, in consultation with you;

-A TPA (Transition Partnership Agreement) if your child has complex needs and is transitioning from or to or within, or an Annual Review if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

How will the school support my child, and who will oversee, plan and work with my child?

  • The SENCo oversees all support for, and the progress of, any child requiring additional support across the school.  Any child who has a recognised SEND is recorded on our SEND Register, which identifies their specific areas of need and is updated termly.  The SENCo is responsible for overseeing the provision for children with an EHCP, ensuring that legal requirements are met;
  • The class teacher ultimately has responsibility for every child in their class, regardless of need, and will oversee, plan for and work with each child with SEND in their class.  They are accountable for the progress and development of the children in their class, and will aim to ensure that progress is made, for example through differentiation and providing resources;
  • There may be an LSA (Learning Support Assistant) working with your child, either individually or as part of a group, if this this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. Any such support will be outlined on your child’s IEP or IBMP;
  • So that your child achieves their best, it is our responsibility to track their progress.  This is done in partnership with the class teacher and members of the School Leadership team, and reported to the Governing Body;
  • We work as a team to best support your child, sharing expertise to ensure that the best provision is available to all;
  • Liaison with feeder schools, both at Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 3, as well as schools that a child may transfer from/to mid-year, is absolutely vital to ensure the continuation of appropriate support – this may take the form of a TPA;
  • When children are not making expected progress, it may be necessary to contact an external agency, who may be required to carry out a formal assessment. This will always be done with parental consent. 

How will you help me to support my child?

·         By listening to your concerns and suggesting strategies that you can use at home;

·         By involving you in discussions about your child’s progress and how you can support them outside of school to achieve their targets;

·         By supporting you, when we have shared concerns, in contacting external agencies to ask for more support, and helping you to complete forms for external agencies;

·         By providing family support from our Home School Link Worker, or working closely alongside you ourselves, to tackle any difficulties you may be having at home due to your child’s needs;

·         By signposting you to other appropriate organisations and support networks.

How are the Governors involved, and what are their responsibilities? 

  • One of the Governors is responsible for SEND and meets regularly with the SENCo. They also report to the other Governors to keep them informed.
  • The Governors agree priorities for spending within the SEND budget, with the overall aim that all children receive the support that they need in order to make progress.

How will the Curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Every teacher within our school is a teacher of children with SEND.  Lessons are planned carefully to meet all children’s needs and to allow all children to access their learning.  This may be achieved by:

·         Using assessment for learning so that learning is matched specifically to groups and individual children’s next steps to support progress;

·         Providing children with resources to support ideas and learning.  These can be practical resources, such as equipment, or people resources, e.g. class teacher or LSA support;

·         Adapting the curriculum to best meet the needs of both individuals and groups of children (either emotional, or academic).

How does the school know how well my child is doing?

  • As a school, we measure children’s progress in learning against National expectations and Age Related Expectations (ARE);
  • The class teacher continually assesses each child, and tracks both areas where they are making progress and where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry at Year 3 through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods, including ARE and standardised reading and spelling ages;
  • Children who are not making expected progress are picked up through Progress Review Meetings with the Class Teacher, SENCo and Head Teacher/Deputy Head Teacher.  In this meeting, a discussion takes place around why individual children may be experiencing difficulties and what their barriers might be, and considers what further support can be given to aid their progress;
  • When a child’s IEP or IBMP is reviewed, comments are made against each target to show what progress the child has made. If a child has not met the target then the target may be broken down into smaller steps, or a different approach may be tried to ensure that a child does make progress;
  • If your child has an EHCP then targets will be reviewed regularly, as well as formally in the Annual Review.

How are the schools resources allocated and matched to a child’s SEND needs?

  • We ensure that all children who have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities have their needs met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available;
  • We have a team of LSAs who are funded from the SEN budget and who deliver support and interventions designed to meet both individual and groups of children’s needs;
  • The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support, often involving an LSA.

How is the decision made about what type of, and how much, support my child will receive?

·         Schools are allocated a SEND budget by the local authority to prioritise and allocate to individuals on the SEND register, and/or training of teachers and LSAs to meet the needs of every SEND child.  Your child is an individual and will have unique needs.  Different schools can meet these needs in different ways.  Previous support is used as a starting point when agreeing how best to meet the needs of the child in the new school setting.  However, a child’s needs change as the child matures and progresses through school.  Some children may require less support as they move up through the Key Stage; others may require more.  The amount of adult time allocated to a child, the physical resources and access to external support are decided on according to the individual needs of each child;

  • The class teacher, alongside the SENCo, will discuss each child’s needs and what support would be most appropriate;
  • Different children will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve ARE;

·         If your child has an EHCP, then their provision is detailed within this document, e.g. it may specify the number of hours of adult support that your child needs;

·         You are informed if your child is added to, or taken off, the SEND register. For children who are removed from the SEND register, close monitoring helps to ensure that they continue to make progress.

How do we know if it has had an impact?

  • By reviewing children’s targets on IEPs, and ensuring they are being achieved;
  • The child is making progress academically against national/age expected levels - they are catching up with their peers, or expected age levels;
  • The child is making small-steps progress, for example in standardised tests or against ARE;
  • Verbal feedback from the teacher, parent and pupil;
  • Children may move off the SEND register if their needs change.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

·         We are an inclusive school, and believe strongly that high self-esteem and self-confidence are crucial to a child’s well-being, and that a child’s well-being is crucial to academic success;

·         We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.  Through a consistent and shared approach, we are confident that our children can feel safe and secure working with all adults across our school;

·         Regardless of whether children are identified as SEND or not, all children are valued and are recognised for their individual contributions;

·         We recognise that there are some children who may present with more complex social or emotional difficulties, and we value the pastoral support that we are able to offer;

·         Our school behaviour policy, bullying policy and equality policy are all available to view on our website.

What is the pastoral, medical and social support available in the school?

  • The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class and so would be the parent’s first point of contact. If further support is required, the class teacher would liaise with the SENCo for further advice and support. It is possible that outside agencies might be utilised, such as Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Psychologists and the Primary Behaviour Service;
  • The school also has an accredited ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant), who works with vulnerable children, under the direction of the SENCo.  We are currently reviewing our nurture provision in order to best support children who struggle to access a classroom environment full-time.  We are also very lucky to have a HSLW, who works closely alongside the SENCo to best support our vulnerable children.  She is also readily available to provide support to our parents and carers;
  • If your child has specific medical needs then a care plan will be put in place.  As a staff, we have experience of working with children with a range of different medical needs;
  • Good attendance is very important to us, and we are aiming as a school for our overall attendance to be over 96%. As a school, we do all that we can to ensure a child attends school regularly, and we want to work with you should difficulties arise. We have a member off staff responsible for overseeing attendance, and a Home School Link Worker who can support you at home. We also have procedures in place should attendance and/or punctuality be at a level that causes concern;

·         All children, regardless of need, are encouraged to contribute actively to the wider life of the school.

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

  • As a school, we have a very positive approach to all types of challenging behaviour, with a clear reward system that is followed by all staff and pupils.  We are currently reviewing our behaviour policy to ensure that it best meets the needs of all of our pupils;
  • If a child struggles to control and regulate their behaviour, an IBMP (Individual Behaviour Management Plan) may be written, alongside the child, and shared with parents – this identifies the specific issues, and clearly sets out appropriate support and strategies that will be put in place, as well as setting clear, achievable targets;
  • Specific behaviour incidents are recorded on tracking sheets, which allow us to unpick the behaviour, for example – What was happening before the incident?  What might the child have been trying to communicate with their behaviour?  What could we put in place/do differently to stop the same thing happening again?
  • After any behaviour incident, we encourage the child to reflect on their behaviour with a key adult - this helps to identify why the incident happened, and what the child might do differently next time to change and improve their behaviour;
  • The attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis by the Home School Link Worker and Admin staff. Lateness and absence are recorded and reported upon to the Headteacher. 

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

  • The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines – this is available to view on the school website.
  • Parents need to contact the class teacher if medication is recommended by Health professionals to be taken during the school day.
  • On a day-to-day basis, the Admin staff oversee the administration of medicines.

Which specialist services and expertise are available at, or accessed by, the school?

As a school, we work closely with outside agencies to ensure that your child has access to high quality, highly specialised support. The agencies used by the school include:

·         Hampshire Educational Psychologists;

·         CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service);

·         Children’s Services;

·         Primary Inclusion Team;

·         NHS Speech & Language, Physio and Occupational Therapy teams;

·         School Nurse;

·         The Primary Behaviour Service;

·         Supporting Families Project;

·         Early Help Hub (which signposts us to a range of support);

·         Simon Says (support for bereavement);

·         Young Carers;

·         EMTAS (Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service);

·         Specialist Teacher Advisory Service.

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had, or are they currently having?

  • Our SENCo is fully accredited
  • Training on how to deal with challenging behaviour
  • Whole school training on ‘The Six Strands’ – an approach developed by the Primary Behaviour Service, which identifies clear behavioural development targets for use by staff who are working with children with challenging behaviour;
  • All of our LSA’s have had training in delivering reading, spelling & phonics programmes;
  • We have two members of staff trained as an ELSA, who receive regular support from the Educational Psychology team;
  • Our Nurture group staff are fully trained and have received the Nurture Network Certificate;
  • One member of staff is able to deliver the dyslexia screening test, which give a possible indication of dyslexia.

If the school does not have specific expertise or training in an area of need, we seek external advice.

Future training:

·         Staff will be trained to use the Boxall Profile for children with SEMH, and also to use the ‘Beyond the Boxall’ profile to support children in class.

How accessible is the school environment?

  • The school site is wheelchair accessible and has a disabled toilet, which is readily accessed by any child with specific physical needs.  There are no internal stairs or steps, and the playground is fully accessible from the school building;
  • We work closely with the Specialist Teacher Advisory Service to provide modified equipment for children who need it;
  • We liaise with EMTAS (Ethnic Minority & Traveller Achievement Service), who assist us in supporting our families with English as an additional language;
  • Personal evacuation plans are written, when appropriate, as part of our school evacuation policy, and are shared with staff accordingly;
  • As a school, we are happy to discuss any individual access requirements; it is best to contact the school should this be an issue.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

As an inclusive school, we firmly believe that our curriculum should be fully accessible to all pupils; this includes activities that take place both inside and outside of the classroom, and also beyond our school grounds.  We do all that we can to enable pupils with SEND to take part in activities as fully as non-SEND pupils – to allow this to happen, we may increase levels of staffing, request support from parents or carers, allow extra time for activities, or seek further advice.  Risk assessments are carried out to best ensure everyone’s health and safety, which is at all times of paramount importance.  In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

How are parents involved in the school, and how can I get involved?

Good, on-going communication between home and school is essential, if a child is to achieve to their full potential.  Research shows that, when parents are involved in their child’s education, a child is more likely to succeed.  We strongly value parent participation and recognise the vital part that you play in helping us to support your child. 

-Ways in which you can become involved in supporting your child include:

·         Attending class trips, assemblies, open mornings and other whole school and class activities and events;

·         Maintaining effective communication with the school through meeting with or talking to school staff;

·         Attending and participating in parent/teacher meetings;

·         Attending review meetings for those children who have an EHCP;

·         Sharing IEP targets with children and providing opportunities for your child to address these targets at home;

·         Supporting your child with homework, as well as ensuring that they have a designated and quiet space at home where they are able to work;

·         Keeping informed about events and meetings through browsing our website, and reading information sent home;

·         Meeting with professionals from external agencies, usually at the school;

·         Volunteering with the school to support pupils and/or teachers;

·         Attending parent workshops run by the school, e.g. on how we teach maths across the school, or on helping you to support your child to read;

·         Joining any working parties, which might meet to discuss changes to any policies, e.g. anti-bullying policy review; behaviour policy review;

·         Supporting the school with any additional transition activities that may be planned.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school, and when transferring to a new school?

  • We encourage all new children to visit our school prior to starting, where they will be shown around the school and meet their new class and class teacher. For children with SEND, we would actively encourage visits to assist with the acclimatization of their new surroundings.  It would also be beneficial for new parents of children with SEND to meet with the SENCo prior to their child starting;
  • We write social stories for children if transition is potentially going to be difficult for them;
  • When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically going on to Secondary education, we arrange additional visits where appropriate. Our two local secondary schools, Bridgemary and Crofton, also run a programme specifically tailored to aid transition for more vulnerable pupils;
  • We liaise closely with staff when receiving and transferring children from and to different schools, ensuring that all relevant paperwork is received or passed on, and that all needs are discussed and understood;
  • If your child has specific needs, then a TPA (Transition Partnership Agreement) or an EHCP review will be used to aid a transition meeting, during which we will invite staff from both schools, and the pupil’s parents, to attend.

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

  • We value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually carried out through the School Council, which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised;
  • There are a worry boxes in the entrance corridor, both shared areas and outside the inclusion room which are regularly checked by the HSLW and then acted upon;
  • If your child has an EHCP, or a TPA is held around their needs, then their views will be sought before any review meetings.

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school?

  • Contact our school Admin office to arrange to meet our Headteacher, Mr Clarke, who will be very happy to discuss with you how the school could best meet your child’s individual needs.

Who can I contact for further information?

  • The first point of contact for any discussions about your child would be their class teacher;
  • You could also arrange to meet Mrs Alden, our SENCo, or Mr Clarke, our Headteacher – they are available to discuss your child’s progress, or any concerns/worries you may have;
  • The school works closely with many outside agencies and is able to provide advice regarding support for children and their families;
  • Look at the SEN policy on our school website;

·         You may wish to contact Hampshire SENDIASS (formerly Support4Send) on 0808 164 5504, or email them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or find further information on their website . Hampshire SENDIASS provides free, impartial information, advice and support to parents/carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and to children and young people with SEND throughout Hampshire.  They cover the ages of 0 – 25, and offer support for any level of SEND.  The feedback from parents who have contacted them in the past has been that they are a valuable resource;

·         Further help can be found at the IPSEA website,  IPSEA is a national charity providing free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs.

If, for any reason, you feel that we have not successfully met your expectations regarding the provision for your child, then you may wish to follow our complaints procedure, which can be found on our website under the ‘policies’ section. We would hope that we would be able to work with you to resolve any difficulties before this situation arose.  We do genuinely value parent participation and involvement, and recognise the extremely important role that you play.

If you require more information, please contact us on 01329 281206.